Zvika Bar-Deroma <AER7101@TECHNION>
Fri, 5 Jan 90 11:39:35 IST
I'm not sure if the following is a LISTSERV problem (and therefore a bug)
or simply a misunderstanding on my part.

If I'm SUB to  a list (or ADDing someone to a list  I own), I can't give
it names that are too long (made up of too many words); trying to change
the personal  name by means of  another ADD command results  in the same
problem.

The following is a console log  of a "ADDing session" with out LISTSERV,
running  rel. 1.6C  on a  VM/HPO 5.0,  level 514  machine (as  far as  I
remember, I get the same behaviour on other releases too, like 1.5O):

1. "Simple" add - no problems:

  * AER7105@TECHNION has been added to list AELTEST.
  * Notification has been sent to z 05
  Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:25:38

2. Change his name - no problems either:
    Ready; T=0.02/0.18 11:25:50
    tl l add aeltest aer7105@technion new name05
    Ready; T=0.05/0.10 11:28:22
   * The entry for AER7105@TECHNION in list AELTEST has been replaced.
   * Notification has been sent to new name05

3. Change his name - to a longer name - no go !
   tl l add aeltest aer7105@technion Abraham A. name05
   Ready; T=0.06/0.09 11:29:09
   * The entry for AER7105@TECHNION in list AELTEST has been replaced.
   * Notification has been sent to Abraham A.
   * Unknown command -- "NAME05". Try HELP.

4. DELete the old entry, retry with a long name, which includes a Dr.
   at the beginning, accepting a total of 3 "words":

   tl l del aeltest aer7105@technion
   Ready; T=0.05/0.08 11:31:23
   * AER7105@TECHNION has been removed from list AELTEST.
   * Notification has been sent to AER7105@TECHNION
   * New mail from Revised List Processor (1.6c) <LISTSERV@TECHNION>
   tl l add aeltest aer7105@technion dr. Abraham A.  name05
   Ready; T=0.06/0.09 11:32:45
   * AER7105@TECHNION has been added to list AELTEST.
   * Notification has been sent to dr. Abraham A.
   * New mail from Revised List Processor (1.6c) <LISTSERV@TECHNION>
   * Unknown command -- "NAME05". Try HELP.

The problem is a not a synthetic one, but a real one, on another list
I own, with a person with such a name. The only solution I found (I know
it's a bad one) was to GET the list, and edit the person's name.

/Zvika

p.s. The problem occured with a:
     Prof. (emeritus) first_name middle_name family_name

     so it really caused me trouble.....