Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Tue, 20 Jan 87 08:56:27 CST
   I may mentioned this earlier while Eric was busy but it is relevant to
the documentation format...

1.
   I appreciate all the documentation with LISTSERV but it is difficult to
tell just which item you have - many of the titles are similar.  It would
help this aging brain a bit if the header (top of first page) of every
item followed a regular format with:
       File Name  (eg.  LISTSERV MEMO)
       Info Command (if applicable, eg.  INFO GENINTRO)
       A Number of some sort
   Then there could be a master list of documents which could be used as a
Table of Contents with documents in some sort of logical order...
This list could also indicate if a document is not yet available (I spent
some time looking for LISTFOWN MEMO...  :-).

2.
   I also had a problem printing the "A description of the Relayed
File Distribution feature" document.  It apparently includes special
characters which had very strange effects on the laser printer I
happened to print it on!  (I do hope that was the last thing in the
document...  :-)   It might be a good idea to use a printable example
or simply replace some of the lines in the example with "unprintable
module records delete here" or something).

3.
   One compromise might be to allow simple ANSI Carriage Control (mainly
"1" in column 1 of the items to indicate a new page).  This would allow
Eric to plan the format of the pages but it is easy to remove this if
you want to.  If only the 'new page' character is used the file is still
quite readable on a terminal.