Jose Maria Blasco Comellas <ZCCBJBC@EB0UB011>
Sat, 22 Nov 86 14:05:07 HOE
Alain, Nick,

All  you have  to do  is to  'sell' LISTSERV  (under a  different name,  if you
want, as DISTRIB),  and set NO lists, NO remote  privileges and NO LISTFILEs...
I cannot  see why  a separate  server should be  built for  this case.  I'm not
really  convinced that  people would  install such  a server  more easily  than
LISTSERV, but  if this  could help  perhaps a  different (more  restricted) set
of SHIPMENT files  could be created. But, please, ALL  the features of LISTSERV
are optional, i.e.,  you can deactivate AFD  or have no listfiles  if you don't
like to act  as a file server, you  can have no lists, etc. I  find that having
separate servers  for each  purpose would be  a real mess:  you should  have to
order  three  separate servers  (or  would  there be  six  of  them, i.e.  only
DISTRIBUTE,  DISTRIBUTE+fileserver,  fileserver+Listserver,  etc?  :-)  );  and
think about  the problems  of defining protocols  between the  three servers...
No, too complicated for me ;-)

Jose Maria

P.S.  The  additional  resources  needed  for  a  DISTRIBUTE-only  Listserv  as
compared to a DISTRIBUTE-only server are negligible.