Brick Verser <BAV@KSUVM>
Sat, 22 Nov 86 11:54 CST
Perhaps I'm not seeing something obvious, but I don't see how one is
supposed to find the originid of the person who sent a file using
LISTSERV's file distribution mechanism.  As an end recipient, I only
see a file in my reader with an origin of [log in to unmask]  And as a
postmaster watching files come through, not always reaching their
destinations, I see little of who it was that actually sent the files.

The particular problem which brings this up is some mail I received
from the folks at NDSUVM1 asking me to have our LISTSERV quit sending
files to an invalid userid.  I can't stop the files, and it seems that
I can't even find out who sent them.  Following is all I see from
LISTSERV:

 21Nov1986 08:42:58 Received file (0532) from LISTSERV@CLVM
 21Nov1986 08:42:59 From LISTSERV@CLVM: DIST FROM=DD=From ACK=None TO UD104299@
 NDSUVM1 NU105451@NDSUVM1
 21Nov1986 08:43:04 File "NOV21C-A SUBJECTS" distributed to [log in to unmask]
 21Nov1986 08:43:05 File "NOV21C-A SUBJECTS" distributed to [log in to unmask]
 21Nov1986 08:43:39 RSCS message: FROM NDSUVM1: USER NU105451 NOT IN CP DIRECTO
 RY -- FILE (3585) SPOOLED TO SYSTEM

I can't tell where the files came from, nor can NDSUVM1.  The RSCS console
is no help.  Surely I'm missing something obvious, but I dunno what.

Also, how am I to be sure that the files I receive which I think are
from ERIC@FRECP11 are really from him and not from someone just dying
to run their own execs in my class D LISTSERV machine?

--Brick