"Kenny, Melissa S" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:55:05 -0500
Moshe,

We don't have Exchange 2010, but we have 2007 and still use Listserv for mailing lists and distribution groups.  If you want to include an e-mail address from outside your organization in an Exchange distribution group, you first have to create a contact object in Active Directory.  If you want to have individuals self-subscribe to a "mailing list," you would have to set up code to create these objects before someone could be added to the list.  You'll have to write the code because while there are third-party solutions for managing AD groups (which is what a distribution list is,) there aren't any included with AD.  We have many affiliated hospitals and need to include addresses from them in our faculty mailing lists (we have affiliated faculty in the 5 figures) so adding them to AD just isn't practical.

Melissa Kenny

IIS Administrator
Harvard Medical School IT
107 Avenue Louis Pasteur
Center for Educational Technology
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 432-4296 (desk)
(617) 432-1150 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moshe Barak
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 9:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi,
Our intitute has decided to implement MS Exchange 2010 server as a main campus-wide system. Someone in the team that works in this project has suggested to use Exchange 2010 mailing lists, to do what listserv does today, and I have been asked to prepare a paper on the subject and present it. I am not knowledgeable about MS Exchange 2010 mailing lists at all.
Any chances anyone may have some info/comparisons about this? My gut feeling is that there is really no comparison, but I do not know that for sure. Thanks for any info/pointer.
Thanks,

Moshe

Moshe Barak| Head User Support | Taub Computer Center
Office: 9724-8293689 | fax: 97248236212 | E-mail:  [log in to unmask]