Ray Tomes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 23:32:34 GMT
Please reply by email to [log in to unmask]

I have posted the following message to a number of usenet groups and
individuals who I thought would be interested.  I am satisfied from the
number of replies coming in that it would have sufficient interest to
function as an email list.

I am seeking someone who will provide a site for the list.  The interest
is about equally from scientific people (geology, meteorology,
climatology) and business (economics, commodities etc).

  --message as posted --

I am planning to set up a listserv group for discussion on the subject
of CYCLES, meaning phenomena in any discipline that are repeated in time
or space.  The subject areas include, but are not limited to astronomy,
biology, climatology, commodities, cosmology, dendrology, economics,
extinctions, finances, geology, history, meteorology, mathematics,
medicine, music, paleontology, politics, prices, physics, social trends,
stocks, weather, wars.

Observations of cycles, mathematical analysis methods and theories
concerning cycles are to be discussed and information about conferences,
lectures, books, software and other related matters.  The emphasis is on
an interdisciplinary approach.

According to Edward Dewey, who formed the Foundation for the Study of
Cycles, there is no subject that has been studied which does not show
cycles.  Other interdisciplinary cycles researchers include Raymond
Wheeler, and the famous Russians Kondratieff and Chizhevski.  Because
education is broken into particular disciplines, the benefits of
understanding of the relationships between all things that can be
achieved with an interdisciplinary approach are often not achieved and
many people must rediscover these connections for themselves.  So this
is primarily an interdisciplinary group for sharing information,
discoveries, ideas and theories on cycles.

My name is Ray Tomes and I am a member of the advisory board of the
Foundation for the Study of Cycles in the US and a member of CIFA in
Europe/Russia and have attended and spoken at many cycles conferences
around the world.  It is clear that researchers in all areas of study
can gain a new perspective by the study of cycles and recognising that
there are many relationships between things that we do not fully
understand.

Some Keywords: cycles, periodicity, frequency, fourier analysis,
spectral analysis, spectrum, waves, waveforms, indicators, music,
tuning, electromagnetism, sound, brain-waves, rhythm, circadean rhythms,
resonance, repetition, modulation, signal, noise, catastrophe.

If you are interested in being a member of such a list group (messages
are exchanged through email by special servers) then please reply to me
by email by keeping the subject field the same as above and replacing
the contents of this post by a simple statement of interest.

The group will be started if and when there is sufficient interest and
those replying will be subscribed.  You can unsubscribe at any time that
you want to.  I will be the list owner and only members of the list will
be able to post to the list which will be available in a digest form (so
that only one message per day arrives).  The policy of the group will be
strictly enforced so that all posts are:
a. Polite and respectful.
b. Related to the subject matter of Cycles in some way.
c. Considered and not overly repetitive.
If you have any further suggestions on policy or subject matter then
please include them with your reply and a statement of policy will be
issued when/if the list commences.

-- Ray Tomes -- [log in to unmask] -- Harmonics Theory --
     http://www.kcbbs.gen.nz/users/rtomes/rt-home.htm