   Subject:  Was not one of the common ones as noted below.
   From:     Did not look like a daemon
   Headers:  Did not include the original headers in the text as promised.

Date:         Fri, 29 Dec 89 15:02:00 EST
Sender:       ROOTS-L Genealogy List <ROOTS-L@NDSUVM1>
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      VMSmail Gateway nondelivery notification

Delivery of this message through the Gateway had the following results:

	LUKE::PHOWE - timeout period expired;

The original message follows:
--------------------------------- Above was all... ----------------------------

------------------ For what it's worth - my response to the report ------------

Date:         Fri, 29 Dec 89 15:54:06 CST
From:         Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Subject:      Re: Weird things...
To:           "Harold L. Caldwell" <00HLCALDWELL@BSUVAX1>,
cc:           [log in to unmask],
              Alf Christophersen <[log in to unmask]>

On Fri, 29 Dec 89 13:48 EST you said:
>Marty:
>        I have just received 4 copies of this transmission from ROOTS-L,
>and I though you may want to see one.  I hope, for your sanity, that this is
>not an endless loop.
>                                Hal Caldwell

   Thanks for mentioning this.  I have removed the GE.COM subscriber and
turned off service for that gateway/daemon.

   The problem is obviously at CRDGW2.DNET.GE.COM because it did NOT include
the original neaders nor use one of the "well known" subject lines or
daemon names.  Either of these would have stopped the loop immediately.
   I would urge the GE.COM folks to fix their gateway so it DOES include
the original message (or at least all the headers).
   An additional precaution would be for the gateway to follow the
practice of the more popular gateways.  It makes it much easier for
folks who write mail handling scripts, etc.

    Left(subj,9) == 'UNDELIVER' |,       /* Crosswell or FAL */
    Left(subj,22) = 'UNABLE TO DELIVER MAIL' |,   /* Mult*cs */
    subj = 'RETURNED NETWORK MAIL' Then  /* VAX-type  MAILER */

   Thanks for the note Hal.  Sorry I didn't get this sooner.  Have a Happy
New Year.

   If the folks at the gateway have any questions Please let me know!
I know we all fiercly want to be original but with mail bounces it is just
not very helpful... ;-)

               Marty

Marty Hoag
ND Higher Education Computer Network    US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
Phone: (701)-237-8639  Fax: (701)-237-8541       PO Box 5164 / UCCS
Bitnet:   NU021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)    Fargo, ND  58105
Internet: [log in to unmask]
UUCP:    ...!uunet!ndsuvax!vm1.nodak.edu!NU021172