Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Mar 1991 14:50:09 EST
 I've started getting these lately and I don't have clue what is going
 wrong.  Somehow the user's name is ending up in the BSMTP "RCTP TO:"
 field!  It's only a problem for this one entry on the mailing list...
 I'm pretty sure it's not a Listserv problem, but wanted to ask this
 lists' opinion before moving on the the XMAILER list.  So has anyone
 seen this error before?  Any info would be appreciated.  Our Listserv
 is 1.6e with all available fixes (as far as i know) and our MAILER is
 at version 2.07.

 Thanks in advance,
 -jj

The enclosed mail file, found in the VFORT-L reader and shown under the spoolid
4013  in the  console log,  has been  identified as  a possible  delivery error
notice  for  the  following  reason:  mail  origin seems  to  be  a  mailer  or
mail-daemon.

------------------------- Message in error (59 lines) -------------------------
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 05:26:23 CST
From: Network Mailer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: mail delivery error

Batch SMTP transaction log follows:

220 UAFSYSB.UARK.EDU Columbia MAILER R2.07 BSMTP service ready.
050 HELO UAFSYSB
250 UAFSYSB.UARK.EDU Hello UAFSYSB
050 TICK 6079
250 6079 ... that's the ticket.
050 MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
250 <[log in to unmask]>... sender OK.
050 RCPT TO:<Robert.King>
250 <Robert.King>... recipient OK.
050 DATA
354 Start mail input.  End with <crlf>.<crlf>
554-Mail not delivered to some or all recipients:
554 'Robert.K...' is too long to be a VM userid.
050 QUIT
221 UAFSYSB.UARK.EDU Columbia MAILER BSMTP service done.

Original message follows: