Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:22:30 -0500
On Nov 7, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Toru Saito wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> In our organization, the web development unit and the
> customer service unit are responsible for
> administering the LISTSERV. But, I'm not sure if this
> is a good practice.
>
> So, my questions are,
>
> 1. Who(which unit) are the administrators of the
> LISTSERV in your organization?
> 2. Does it work well? (If not why)
> 3. Why you decided to do that way?

1. Here at Temple University, our LISTSERV is managed by me. I am one
of seven FTE who works in the Enterprise Systems Group, but LISTSERV
management has followed me from when I used to be on Temple's help
desk. Now, the help desk managers here have postmaster access via
email and the wa GUI, but no root access to the Red Hat Linux box
that hosts our LISTSERV installation.

2. Does it work well? Of course, I am biased, but I am reasonably
sure it does. No one else at Temple has ever asked to take over my
responsibility toward managing LISTSERV.

3. Why do I run Temple's LISTSERV? Probably because I am the only one
who offered to do it when the contractor who used to run it left and
I volunteered to assume responsibility back around version 1.8c,
which is more years ago than I care to think about!