Glenn Vanderburg <X230GV@TAMVM1>
Thu, 1 Sep 88 10:14:05 CDT
I have an interesting question about LISTSERV.  Here's the background.

I am on a committee of 14 members which is spread out across the U.S.
We would like to use LISTSERV to handle our communication.  It will
speed things up, keep an archive automatically, allow intelligent
searching of those archives, etc.  I don't need to convince you of
the virtues of LISTSERV.  The problem is that three (and possibly four)
of the members of the committee do not have access to electronic mail.
We want to include them via the U.S. Postal Service.

Part of the problem is already solved.  The center where I work already
has a service by which printouts labeled with particular "bin numbers"
do not get placed in output bins, but instead are packaged and mailed to
a postal address.  The cost is billed to a pre-arranged account.

The real problem turns out to be getting the mail to the printer with
the necessary bin number.  This will require the outgoing file to be
spooled and tagged in a particular way.

I have an idea which comes close to solving this problem.  The main list
will be called, for example, LIST-L.  It will contain all of the committee
members who have electronic addresses, plus an entry for LIST-P.  LIST-P
will be another mailing list, containing all of the members who do not
have electronic addresses.  Since they don't have electronic addresses (and
since the list will be subscribe= by-owner) the addresses in the list can
be used for other things.  I was thinking of something like this:
   BIN#@GARBAGE          Elizabeth Barnhart, TV Guide
The node would be ignored, and the userid would represent the bin number.
The distribution of files to this list would be handled by a special exit
which would handle everything correctly.

Is there a way to set up a list so that a special exit is used for
distribution?  Is there a better way to go about this whole thing?  I've
thought of a separate server, but that's kludgey and inflexible.  I've
also thought about an exit for MAILER to make PRINTER a special node, and
mail to 504A@PRINTER would be routed to the printer with a bin number of
504A.  A similar thing could be done with a new line driver for RSCS, but
that would raise a whole host of other problems.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Glenn Vanderburg