"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Wed, 1 Mar 89 18:49:53 GMT
>Yesterday,  a major  operations problem  occured, caused  by a  software
>change on the FRMOP11 node (and possibly on other nodes, but this is not
>yet clear).
>
>As this had clearly a negative impact on mail distribution (FRMOP11 is a
>LISTSERV backbone node), Eric Thomas took the decision to remove FRMOP11
>from this backbone.
>
>We have to object to the way  this decision was taken (regardless of its
>merits which are  not that obvious because of the  increased load on the
>international lines): such  an operations decision must be  taken by the
>operations group or  at least the most concerned people,  namely in this
>case A. Auroux, D. Dumas, M. Hebgen and E. Thomas.
>
>So, we ask  Eric Thomas to restore FRMOP11 as  LISTSERV backbone node as
>soon as the situation at this node becomes normal again, and to avoid in
>the future to take unilateral decisions: It should be clearly understood
>that being the person who has  developed and is maintaining a tool, with
>the  rights associated  to it,  does  not grant  the right  to take  all
>decisions related to the operations of the tool network wide.
>
>In addition, we welcome the proposal made by Eric to discuss the problem
>of quality  of maintenance of  networking tools on  international nodes,
>and we  are asking you  to make proposals  of directives/recommendations
>which would help keeping the smooth operations of EARN
>
> Alain Auroux Michael Hebgen

This  kind of  notes is  one  of the  reasons  why I  want to  completely
discontinue  any  service  I  am  providing to  EARN.  You  speak  of  my
"unilateral"  decision.  To me  it  appears  that EARN  has  unilaterally
decided that I am no longer responsible for the operation of the LISTSERV
backbone, and  that the people who  ought to make that  kind of decisions
are Alain  Auroux, Michael Hebgen  and a representative from  FRMOP11. If
this decision has been made at some  time, it was without my approval and
it  has either  not been  published  or been  published in  one of  these
"public" documents that nobody knows where to find.

Until we do  come to an agreement with EARN  about the operation, support
and maintenance  of LISTSERV  on EARN,  I am  the "LMC"  (LISTSERV Master
Coordinator) for both  EARN and non-EARN sites. I am  responsible for the
provision of files like PEERS NAMES and LINKSWT FILE to LISTSERV backbone
sites, and part of this responsibility is  to decide who should be on the
backbone and  who should not,  in order to  ensure a smooth  operation of
mailing  list distribution,  of the  DISTRIBUTE  command, etc.  If I  had
allowed  all  the  sites  which   sent  back  a  registration  form  with
":backbone.YES" to be on the backbone, we would not have a backbone but a
MESS.

I will not restore  FRMOP11 to the backbone unless the  EARN BoD issues a
directive stating  that the  NOG is the  entity responsible  for deciding
which (EARN) sites should be on the backbone and which should not.

  Eric