Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 1 Nov 1986 18:33 SET
  Last night  a bomb exploded  very near to my  house. It was  very impressive,
the noise shook  the walls and the  door slammed against its lock  (but was far
from bursting  open, hopefully).  Actually it  was not THAT  near but  the bomb
had been  very powerful. It completely  destroyed the building and  that's what
it was meant  for. I heard the  target was the building of  the National Office
of Unemployment (that place  which helps you finding a job  when you don't have
one), and that there's a real big hole in it....

  Those days I just  don't have time to work on LISTSERV. As  you may have seen
on LINKFAIL we have  power problems, and I'm still working  on the migration to
the 3375s;  besides we'll  be installing  VM/SP 4 next  week. I  recently found
that we had a  few privileged servers with security holes  even larger than the
hole in the destroyed building... They were  written by Mr Sein-Aye, for whom I
have a lot of respect because when he came here he knew nothing about computers
and he  managed to learn  an incredible  amount of things  about VM in  the two
years he worked here part-time on three different computers, the 4341 being the
one he spent the  smallest amount of time on because  it usually 'works without
problems when  left alone'  (his words)  which is not  at all  the case  of the
other two fr*nch  computers. However he had *no idea*  of what *security* is...
the servers had ABDG  privs, which they did not need except  to use MSGNOH, and
RECEIVEd  whatever file  a user  would send  them (but  of course  the end-user
execs he wrote only sent files with a  filetype of 4250 or JOB). Then he picked
up the  name of the sender  and number of 4250  pages of the document  from the
first line in  the file (where they  were inserted by the  end-user exec), etc,
etc. You could bill  jobs to someone else, increment your  4250 output quota by
sending a one-line file, "hh:mm:ss myuserid -100" to the server, etc.

  I'm presently  rewriting the two servers,  which is as funny  and fascinating
a job  as you  may imagine, and  have given up  rewriting another  server which
showed the same  problems but only had  class G. Ah, by the  way, DISKACNT (the
standard IBM-supplied one) is as stupid  as the above servers and receives any-
thing with name "VM370.ACCO.RECO", regardless of origin. Thus you can increment
or decrement the bills of any  user by sending the appropriate accounting cards
from any class G account. I rewrote it  a long time ago, just thought you might
be interested... It's funny. Of the five servers shipped by IBM along with IPF,
four of them (VMUTIL, DISKACNT, OPERATNS,  SYSDUMP1) show security leaks, and I
have not yet understood what the fifth  one is for (ROUTER). There is of course
no problem with AUTOLOG1 but I don't call this a server...

  Eric