Jose Maria Blasco <JMBLASCO@DEARN>
Fri, 3 Mar 89 11:41:08 MEZ
>The net  result of this is  that, unfortunately, plan #2  as it is now  is not
>viable. The  first thing that EARN  would do when they  become responsible for
>the maintenance of the  EARN part of PEERS NAMES would be  to put FRMOP11 back
>on the backbone, and the first  thing that a non-negligible number of non-EARN
>sites would  do is  to complain  that this is  unacceptable. Clearly  a final,
>binary  decision would  have to  be made,  and plan  #2 does  not define  how.
>Without an extra clause  to clarify this point, plan #2  is therefore bound to
>fail. Does  anybody have  anything to propose?  The only  technically feasible
>plan I  can think of is  to have one unique  person on the network  making all
>these decisions,  which has worked  very well in the  past but which  seems to
>upset EARN considerably.

I'm afraid Eric is right. I can  see two methods to restore the viability
of plan #2;  however, it should be  clear that we cannot  extend it every
time we find a problem, and as I  guess what we have now is a fundamental
lack of  understanding maybe  it wouldn't  be worth  to pursue  the issue
further...  Anyway,  for  reasons  of  completeness,  here  are  the  two
(alternative) approaches I can see. Comments welcome.

a) Eric  continues to maintain the  global tables for the  whole network,
   unpaid. I'd guess that Eric would presently not be especially inclined
   to  take  this  responsibility,  especially  after  the  last  events;
   however, this might be different it  it was clearly WRITTEN and SIGNED
   by EARN that they would accept Eric's decisions without comments. This
   last point is very important: without comment, as formally agreed by a
   contract.

   The two objections that can be presented to this plan concern Eric and
   EARN: Eric could  argue that he does  not want to provide  any kind of
   service to EARN -- the  counter-argument would be that the maintenance
   of  the global  tables is  a global  service which  affects the  whole
   network, and that maintenance of the  EARN part would be done only for
   the benefit (and protection) of non EARN nodes; further, Eric will not
   be paid for *that*, while EARN would  have to sign a paper saying they
   would not complain.

   The second  objection, you have  guessed it,  is that it  is presently
   very,  very unlikely  that EARN  would never  accept to  sign such  an
   agreement,  as   they  could  imagine   all  kind  of   pressures  and
   blackmailing behind  it. Nevertheless  -- and  I myself  would believe
   Eric acting bona fide and not  doing any blackmailing, but that's EARN
   who has to believe in that and  nor me -- technically speaking I still
   think this would be the better solution.

b) The  maintenance of the global  tables is taken by  someone at BITNET.
   This  person   should  take   advice  from   Eric  and   the  LISTSERV
   Coordinators, as  from BITNET, NetNorth  and EARN. This  person should
   listen  to all  these  parties, but  IN  NO WAY  be  obliged by  their
   advices.  This  would  protect  BITNET and  NetNorth  from  EARN,  and
   reversely.

Comments  welcome. But  please  note  that I'm  not  interested  in a  c)
approach like plan  #3, i.e. "EARN will take the  full responsibility for
the  global tables  and may  or may  not agree  with BITNET  and NetNorth
methods so that they are satisfied".  For that we'd better go directly to
plan #3.

Jose Maria