Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 May 2005 18:00:15 -0400
On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:54:11 +0300, "=?iso-8859-9?Q?A._=D6mer_K=F6ker?=" said:
> I was wondering whether anyone has run across or done any work comparing
> ListServ to various other products out there wrto total cost of ownership,

I've never seen a TCO survey that wasn't biased towards some answer or another.

And even if there *was* an unbiased survey, it would probably not be very
applicable to you, because *your* cost of ownership will be different.  Some
sites (like mine) have been using Listserv for close to 20 years, and have a
pretty sizable investment in integrating it into our IT.  There's a  lot of
hidden costs if we were to think about moving to some other product.  Also, I'm
sure that different sites have different usage patterns on the support
contracts - mine is split about 50/50 between stupid questions and actual
bugs..

Now as to feature comparisons, I'm sure somebody's got plenty of pointers for
those, and they *do* tend to be objective except for evaluations of the
*usefulness* of a given feature for a given purpose....