"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Fri, 31 Mar 89 21:07:29 GMT
I have completely rewritten most of  LSVBITFD for release 1.6 of LISTSERV. The
three main  reasons to do  this were the  removal of (very)  old compatibility
code that was no longer executed  but made debugging and understanding a pain,
the  extension of  the node  weights  to 32  bits  to accomodate  for the  new
resistance  definitions   in  the   future  BITEARN  NODES,   and  performance
considerations.

I have checked  that the new MODULE  produces exactly the same  results as the
old one. It is however four times  faster, uses a bit less virtual storage and
has  a new  input file,  BITEARN LINKSUM2,  which is  around 10%  smaller than
BITEARN LINKSUM (which is no longer required,  but I changed the name to allow
the two versions to coexist). LSVBITWT MODULE is now obsolete (but can be kept
to maintain  the old LINKSUM  file); its function  is performed by  a modified
LSVBITGN EXEC,  which is around 20%  faster than the previous  version since I
was able to remove the sort code (which was there only for historical reasons,
because of aliases). Error messages are now generated when the LINKSWT FILE is
processed, and  there were  a LOT  of obsolete/invalid  entries in  there. For
example, I didn't  know that FRORS12-BEARN2 had  become FRORS12-BBRNSF11, with
the result that  the volume-charged link to Belgium was  weighted '1'. This is
another reason to have this information in BITEARN NODES rather than in a file
maintained manually by a non-omniscient mortal :-)

Anyway,  non-EARN sites  running out  of cycles  for LISTSERV  are welcome  to
beta-test  the new  version. Just  drop me  a  note and  I'll send  you a  new
LSVBITFD and LSVBITGN. *** PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY ***

1. Keep a copy of the old LSVBITFD and LSVBITGN (RENAME will do fine).

2. Replace the new LSVBITGN *only*. Receive LSVBITFD under *another* name.

3. Start LISTSERV and do a NODESGEN. Go get a cup of coffee. Don't worry about
   the errors in LINKSWT FILE, I know about them.

4. At this point you will have both LINKSUM and LINKSUM2 files; you'll be able
   to switch freely between the two  versions of LSVBITFD, provided you reboot
   LISTSERV every time you switch from one to the other.

5. If I send out a new LINKSWT  FILE, only your LINKSUM2 file will be updated.
   To update the old one, just do TELL LISTSERV CMS LSVBITWT (REVERSE and then
   TELL LISTSERV CMS LSVBITFD RESET.

6. If a  new BITEARN NODES comes  out, only the LINKSUM2 file  will change; to
   change the other you  would need to stop LISTSERV and  run the old LSVBITGN
   (standalone), then LSVBITWT (REVERSE and reboot.

Eric