Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Nov 1991 12:59:21 +0100
On Fri, 15 Nov 1991 00:02:55 EST Stan Horwitz <OASIS@TEMPLEVM> said:

>A problem that  is ocurring here with increasing frequency  is that some
>users  sign up  to  one  or more  extremely  busy  lists and  accumulate
>hundreds of reader files from those lists.

The  appropriate solution  is  to  write a  service  machine that  either
removes these files or  forces them to run the MAIL  command to read them
to disk.

>is there a  way I can tell  Listserv not to distribute  list postings to
>people on  Templevm who have an  excessive number of rdr  files? I would
>like to  be able to  set a  variable to establish  such a limit  so that
>Listserv rejects  mailings to those  who exceed the specified  number of
>rdr files.

The next thing you'll want is the ability to define a list of "important"
users who are allowed to have as  many files in their reader as they wish
to. Then  you'll want  to define  lists for which  the message  should be
delivered anyway,  because it's important.  Then you'll realize  you need
different  limits  for  different  types   of  users,  depending  on  the
department  they   are  working   for  (as   determined  by   some  local
accounting/security  procedure). At  that  point we  will  have a  debate
regarding what kind of notification, if any, LISTSERV should generate.

The bottom line is that what you want is a local procedure to comply with
your local requirements. If DISTRIBUTE  stops working as expected, people
will revert  to direct mail,  which will work and  significantly increase
the load;  or they may  move their lists to  the operating system  of the
1990's and  the headers  God meant for  the world to  use, and  you'll be
faced with the same problem again: the need for a local spool cleaner.

  Eric