Jane Jewett <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:15:38 -0500
Wayne,

I'm with the Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture, and we run
three lists out of more than 5,000 that use the University of Minnesota's
site license for L-Soft.   The University is running L-Soft 15.0 on SunOS
5.1.  The largest list we run is "Sustag" with 700+ subscribers. Some of
these subscribers are part of the University system, and some are not. We
have University faculty, staff, and students; staff and members of
non-profit organizations; interested citizens; farmers and farm advisors.
These folks use a lot of different email systems -- University gmail,
individual gmail, a whole host of different email clients like Eudora,
Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.; and some are on broadband Internet, some are on
satellite for Internet access, and some are on dial-up.  We've actually had
remarkably few access problems with all that diversity. Usually the problems
that we see have something to do with digest format, but the majority of our
subscribers are not using digest.

--Jane

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks, Jane!
>
> I'd be interested in hearing details, if there's a story to tell (Listserv
> version?, Gmail web access?,  mail client for problem distributions?,
> etc.).
>  Time for me to test MIME Digests, it seems  ;-)
>
> We've had our students on Gmail for about a year.  Few use digests.  I tend
> to nudge Gmail users to a Gmail filter instead of a Listserv digest, when
> asked.
>
> Cheers, Wayne
> (U Maine System)
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Jane Jewett <[log in to unmask]> wrote, in
> part:

> > We were seeing this problem just recently after the University of
> Minnesota
> > switched its email system to gmail. Previously all subscribers who chose
> > digest were set to "MIME Digest." That didn't work with gmail -- they
> were
> > getting mounds of gibberish.  We found that "HTML Digest" worked with the
> > gmail system, so we just went through the subscriber list and switched
> > everyone with a gmail account and digest to "HTML Digest."

Jane Grimsbo Jewett
Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture
www.misa.umn.edu
The best fertilizer for the land is the footprint
of the owner. -- Aristotle, *Economy* (paraphrased)