Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:56:47 -0500
On 2/1/2007 09:26, A. Omer Koker wrote:

> I have the same issue.  I get over 400-500 junk messages/day.  Wont this
> create additional mail traffic since probably most of the mail are from
> spammers without a real return path?
>
> 1 - How can I  " | /dev/null"  mail from non members silently?
>
> 2- Alternatively, thinking of an announcement list how can I " | /dev/null"
> mail from ALL BUT owners and editors (including members)?

If all of the editors are also owners, you could change the list configuration
to:

	* Send= Owner,Confirm

A message with a sender address which is an owner address will result in a
posting confirmation request to the apparent sender. This will prevent forged
messages from being posted to the list, unless someone confirms a message that
he/she did not actually send. A message with a sender address which is not an
owner address will be rejected.

If some editors are not owners, you could change the list configuration to:

	* Send= Private
	* Default-Options= NoPost

then, set all subscribers to NoPost:

	quiet set listname nopost for *@*

then, add the editors as subscribers and grant them posting rights:

	quiet add listname editor-address
	quiet set listname post for editor-address

A message from anyone, member or non-member, who is not explicitly authorized to
post to the list will be rejected.

No matter which of these options you choose, there will be some backscatter in
the form of rejection messages, unless you modify the list templates to suppress
the rejection message.

It is virtually impossible to eliminate all backscatter without violating the
spirit, if not the letter, of at least one RFC, however, a site can reduce
backscatter by using an aggressive spam filter in front of their list server.
Our anti-spam appliance is the MX host for our list server. Messages which
receive a spam score in excess of a specified threshold are diverted to a
special quarantine mailbox which I monitor. When I find a legitimate message in
that quarantine mailbox, I redirect the message to the original recipient
address. When I redirect a delivery error message to an owner- address, I use my
own address as the sender address. On those extremely rare occasions when I
redirect a message to a list address, I use the original sender address as the
redirecting sender address, so that the message is posted with the original
sender's address, not my address. Some email clients do not support message
redirection, or do not do it properly. I use Thunderbird with the Mail
Redirect extention, and it works correctly.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team