Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 May 1997 18:29:45 +0200
On Wed, 7 May 1997 11:31:39 -0400 Valdis Kletnieks
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>On Wed, 07 May 1997 09:58:30 EDT, you said:
>> --> Error description:
>> Error-For:  [log in to unmask]
>> Error-Code: 3
>> Error-Text: 553 <@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU:[log in to unmask]>...
>>         Source routed envelope sender rejected (See RFC 822, section
>>         6.2.7)
>>
>> Error-End:  One error reported
>
>Plenty of blame to go around here.

And on top of all that, since when does RFC822 apply to SMTP transactions
and  MAIL  FROM:<> lines?  Source  routes  in *RFC822*  headers  probably
haven't been used in  the last decade, and make little or  no sense in an
RFC821  environment   where  the   RFC822  header  contains   no  routing
information. I can understand writing  a mail server that doesn't support
them (although LISTSERV  does and ignores them). Source  routes in RFC821
headers however remain a useful tool to  date for all sorts of local mail
configuration purposes  (route mail  for box  X to Y  even though  the MX
record says  otherwise because of  firewall issue  Z, etc). I  just can't
think of any excuse  for not accepting them, at a  minimum they should be
ignored but not rejected.

  Eric