Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jan 1992 16:49:20 +0100
On Wed, 22 Jan 1992 16:53:39 CST Jonathon Simon <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>What I can't figure  out is what makes LISTSERV send  the message. Is it
>just when it starts up?

Yes, it will check virtual storage every  time it starts up. It is trying
to help you configure things and minimizing the risk that it will run out
of storage while processing a job.

>And finally,  my LISTSERV seems to  work just fine although  I'm getting
>the warning. Do I really need  to expand LISTSERV's strorage? What price
>am I paying by not bumping up storage to 4M?

It is  telling you that  it doesn't think it  has the ability  to process
large jobs it should  be able to process. If it happens  never to get any
job/request/whatever which requires a lot  of storage, everything will be
fine.  The reason  it is  implemented this  way is  that it  is basically
impossible to recommend a virtual  storage size in an installation guide.
Recent  versions   of  CMS   require  much   more  virtual   storage  for
static/initialization  data and  tables. Some  shops have  non-shared R/O
FST's for thousands of files which eat up quite a lot of virtual storage.
Some compile LISTSERV and lose 1  to 1.5M just in EXECLOAD data. LISTSERV
is measuring the  amount of storage it can actually  use, and complaining
if  it thinks  it's not  enough,  accounting for  the fact  that this  is
measured at  initialization and that  memory may get used  and fragmented
for various things  (eg DISTRIBUTE cache) built  after initialization, as
the need arises.

  Eric