Barak Moshe <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:41:28 +0300
Hello all,
I was expressing today to Lsoft's support personnel my need to have
what may be called a 'Second-Level' List Owner.
My idea was to have a second type of List Owner, one  that can't change the
List Headers but can do things like adding, deleting, changing parameters etc.
for list members, Error handling and the like. They would have the GET and PUT
commands not available to them.
For me it will serve a situation where I need to open many lists (around the
1000 figure) for academic courses and I know List owners won't be the kind of
people who would care too much, or have the time to get themselves knowledgeable
about changing the list header. If they do, it could be all wrong. Also, this
would help to split the maintenance work around a list between few people
without the risk that they change the header file.
I can think of other benefits to other List owners and site
administrators alike.

The response I got was that this is probably a needless feature.

I would like to challenge this approach because I believe this is a feature
that can be put to use by some/many of us.

So... I built two lists: YES-L and NO-L, both at tx.technion.ac.il and if you
just post a message to any of these lists (no need to subscribe before)
with the subject 'Yes | No to Secondary List owner' we can count the 'votes'
and see then if it is indeed a needed/not needed feature.
To make this a quick vote, please just send to the 'right' list and NOT
to this list or to Lsoft people, please !

All you have to do is send your mail with the subject as above to
or to [log in to unmask] according to what you think about this feature.

YES-L is voting for the idea of a Secondary List owner, NO-L objects it.

Both lists have a WWW interface that can be used (and results of the vote
inspected there by simply counting the number of messages on each list)
at http://tx.technion.ac.il/archives/yes-l.html (and no-l.html)

For practical reasons this survey should end on August 31.

Your help and participation are appreciated !!!!

Thanks,

Moshe