Eric Thomas <ERIC@SEARN>
Sat, 31 Mar 90 06:00:11 O
>We have  a local Listserv list,  ESL-NEWS, that we gateway  into a local
>Netnews group.  When articles to  arrive at Netnews from  Listserv, they
>have the line "Newsgroups: bit.listserv.esl-news"  in them (which is not
>the group  we would  want to  gateway them to).  Neither I  (the Netnews
>person) nor our  Listserv person nor the list owners  understand how the
>Newsgroups line is being added. Any ideas?

'bit.listserv.listname'  (in  lowercase so  as  not  to upset  poor  Unix
systems who  use a  230-characters ASCII) is  the default  newsgroup. The
idea is to avoid  having to ask the list owner to  change the list header
when you  want to gateway a  new list (this  takes time and tends  to add
people to your 'hated by' list when they own a lot of lists :-) ). To set
it to something else, just add "Newsgroup= whatever" to the list header.

  Eric