Lee Irwin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:49:28 -0400
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Pete Weiss wrote:

>  >It's always seemed wrong to me that a list owner's choice of name in
>  >a subscription overrides what's in the registry, thus affecting
>  >future subscriptions to other lists.  It seems to me that a name given
>  >in an ADD command should be entered in the registry only if there's no
>  >name already there.  A name given in a SUBSCRIBE command should always
>  >be entered in the registry, because SUBSCRIBE commands are entered by
>  >the users themselves.

On a list where I am a listowner, we code the subscriptions by adding
abbreviations to a person's name field.  We don't want people to change
them.
        Perhaps we should be using another method of coding the
subscriptions (e.g., as in "professional" vs "parent" vs "school staff").
        Any suggestions?

        Lee Irwin
        listowner at iupui.edu