"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Dec 1992 08:40:55 EST
In article <9212040301.AA25966@prism>, [log in to unmask] says:

>Scotto sent mail with the following drivel:

>> Can anyone here offer any suggestions as to how to go about finding a new
>hos
>> for this list?  I would *greatly* appreciate *any* help you can offer, and
>so
>> would quite a few others...

>I have been waiting for a similar answer, so I'm assumeing this is a FAQ.
>Could
>this info just be posted, rather than e-mailed directly?

I would think the best place is to send it to new-list@ndsuvm1
aka vm1.nodak.edu.  This is where List Announcements and the List
Search Digest is sent (from).

Here is some "header" info from new-list --

*
*    The "NEW-LIST" list has been established as a central address to
* post announcements of new public mailing lists.  In addition,
* "NEW-LIST" might be used as a final verification before establishing a
* list (to check for existing lists on the same topic, etc.).  However,
* be sure to check sources such as the Internet List-of-Lists (SIGLIST
* or INTEREST-GROUPS list), LISTSERV GROUPS, and the LISTS database on
* the major LISTSERVs (we have the LISTS database on NDSUVM1).
*    Users in EARN should use the peer distribution list at IRLEARN.
*
*                Coordinator: Marty Hoag  [log in to unmask] 01/07/89
*                Peer:    Niall O'Reilly  EARNUCD@IRLEARN
*
* Further Information
*
*    It would be helpful to follow a standard format for announcements
* of new lists.
*
*   1.  If at all possible include a subject line in your mail of:
*
*       Subject: NEW LIST: listname@node list title...
*          or
*       Subject: LIST SEARCH: possible name and/or brief description
*
*   2.  Body of the mail for new or proposed list:
*
*       LISTNAME@LISTNODE Full List Title
*       [log in to unmask]   (if applicable)
*
*         Brief description of the list including what it is for,
*       who might be interested, etc.
*
*       Owner:      userid@node (owner name)
*       Notebooks:  yes/no public/private monthly/weekly/etc.
*       Any other special conditions (closed, edited/moderated, etc.).
*
*         You could include the headers too (remember to take out any
*       password first!).  However, header information is available
*       from any LISTSERV with the LISTS database.  For more information
*       on the DATABASE features of LISTSERV send a LISTSERV the
*       command  INFO DATABASE  .
*
*                  Marty Hoag  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
*                  Coordinator
*
*    Note: This list is MODERATED.  Submissions to New-List@NDSUVM1
* ([log in to unmask]) will be forwarded to the editor.  It is NOT
* our intent to suppress information.  The "editing" is done only to
* prevent naive or malicious "noise" from bothering subscribers who are
* subscribed to receive announcements of new lists.
*
*    You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF NEW-LIST"
* command to [log in to unmask]  Please note that this command must NOT
* be sent to the list address (NEW-LIST@NDSUVM1) but to the LISTSERV
* address (LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 or [log in to unmask]).
*
*    Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived.  You
* can obtain a list of the available archive files by sending an "INDEX
* NEW-LIST" command to [log in to unmask]  These files can then be
* retrieved by means of a "GET NEW-LIST filetype" command, or using the
* database search facilities of LISTSERV.  Send an "INFO DATABASE"
* command for more information on the latter.
*
*    You may also obtain copies of the list notebooks via anonymous FTP
* to VM1.NoDak.EDU (192.33.18.30, userid Anonymous, any password).  Once
* validated do a CD LISTARCH and DIR NEW-LIST.* to see the notebooks
* available.  Our file system is NOT hierarchical so you must do a CD
* ANONYMOUS if you want to return to the "root".
*
*    More information on LISTSERV commands can be found in the "General
* Introduction guide", which you can retrieve by sending an "INFO
* GENINTRO" command to [log in to unmask]

/Pete ([log in to unmask])
--
Peter M. Weiss                     | not affiliated with psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm
31 Shields Bldg -- Penn State Univ.| "Connectivity is more than a Connection"