Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:48:54 -0400
Hi Randy,

I've never had Listserv on Windows - years ago we did move from VM
to AIX - so take the following with a grain of salt....

If you use archives and/or digests, you will probably have to change the
Notebook and/or Digest line in every list header to look like a Unix
path.  (-Forward- slashes....)

Install Listserv on Solaris without any lists except maybe a test list.
Then experiment with moving -one- list over.  Take the Solaris Listserv
down and bring over all the files for that list and put them in the
right places.  When you bring Listserv back up it should notice it has
mysteriously developed a new list while it was asleep, and should take
it in stride.  At least that is what happened when we moved from VM to
AIX many years ago....  Needless to say, the list you move should be
another test list.

Once you get the bugs out of that process, the actual migration should
be quite similar, except for such details as getting a production
license for the Solaris box, warning users, dealing with IP address
issues, taking -both- Listservs down so nothing changes while you are
trying to copy it, moving -hundreds- of files and shuffling them to
the right places, being really nervous, and maybe some other things
I've forgotten.  :-)

Oh, and if your users have Listserv personal passwords set up and you
want to bring those along, you might need to talk to L-Soft.

Margaret King
Michigan State University