"Darryl E. Marsee" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Apr 90 12:29:45 LCL
I'm having a problem with LISTSERV sending to nodes that aren't listed
in BITEARN NODES.  Let's say for example that I want to send something
to an address of USER@PIGSFEET, where PIGSFEET isn't in BITEARN NODES.
If I send a normal everyday electronic mail, our MAILER is configured
to take any address that isn't a valid BITNET node and send it on to our
SMTP for processing, which is what I want. Now, let's say I subscribe
USER@PIGSFEET to a LISTSERV list.  LISTSERV, instead of just giving a
mailing destined for this address to our MAILER for processing as is
(which is what I'd like), insists on adding on a .BITNET to the end of
if first.  Definately not what we want, since mail can't be sent to

So, is there a way to get LISTSERV to not tack on the .BITNET, and then
send it on to our MAILER for processing?  From poking around LISTSERV a
bit, it looks like it just tacks .BITNET onto every non-domained nodeid
it tries to send mail to, which for us is fine if the nodeid really is
on BITNET, but a real pain if it's not.

Darryl E. Marsee
Postmaster/TechRep
Syracuse University