Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:38:11 -0500
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:20:59 -0400, Bruno Robichaud said:

> want to hear?", we never will send millions of email per day. And from my
> experience I often saw form where you can sign up in a list like Swiss
> Chalet for example, you sign up they send you a email right after to tell
> you thx you for registering, so I guess they are spamming Or not legist
> Because they never ask me to confirm?

If the guy down the hall visits Swiss Chalet and puts your e-mail address in
there just to tick you off, the mail that Swiss Chalet sends to you is spam,
because *you* didn't ask for it - it meets the 'unsolicited' part of the definition
of 'spam' - 'unsolicited bulk e-mail'.

Remember - just because some other site that you have visited does it the easy
way does *not* mean it's the current Best Recommended Practice.

And people are suspicious of you precisely *because* spammers do it the same
easy way.

There's exactly *two* possibilities here:

1) You're starting off fresh, with an empty database, and collecting your
subscriptions for this list.  Make everybody's day, including yours, and
do it with a verified opt-in.  This will make *your* day simpler, because
then you can just toss all the bounces without having to worry about taking
them off the list.

2) You're populating the list from some other database.  I don't care *how* you
got it, who you paid for it, or where it came from - there's *one* question you
have to ask yourself: "For *each* address on the list, do I know *for a fact*
that this person is interested in *this* list?" And no, "the guy is on 3
related lists of ours already" does *NOT* cut it.  It's possible he's
interested in those 3, but not this new one.

And if you say "The guy who sold us the list said...", you might as well quit
while you're ahead - before you even get done telling us what the guy said,
half the people will have you branded a spammer and a clueless one at that..