Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:14:09 -0500
At 04:55 PM 2/24/2006 -0500, Ki Song wrote:
> > From: Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
> > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:52:53 -0500
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: Windows XP Firewall
> >
> > Is your Postfix server set up properly to handle probe bounces?
> >
>How do I configure this? How do I know if this is setup correctly?

If you plan to use LISTSERV's address probing feature with Postfix
(the default is to do so when sending mail-merge jobs, for instance,
or when you have configured a list for Auto-Delete), you must
configure Postfix to direct all mail received for unknown recipients
to LISTSERV.  This is because bouncing address probes come back to
specially-formatted addresses -- for instance,

         owner-mylist-l*someuser**EXAMPLE*[log in to unmask]

These addresses positively identify to LISTSERV:

- which list or mail-merge job originated the message that bounced; and
- which recipient is the bouncing address.

In order to direct these mails to LISTSERV, you need to modify
Postfix's master.cf and main.cf files.  Typically these are found in
/etc/postfix, but your installation may vary.

In the master.cf file, add a service called "lsvamin" as follows (we
are assuming a default installation of LISTSERV for our file locations):

# LISTSERV redirection
lsvamin   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
   flags=F user=listserv argv=/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin
/home/listserv/spool ${user}

Then, in the main.cf file, add:

fallback_transport=lsvamin
local_recipient_maps=

Stop and restart Postfix, if it is already running.  Finally, in
/etc/aliases, you will also have to add at least one LISTSERV alias:

listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin /home/listserv/spool listserv"

and then run `newaliases'.  If you don't do this, mail sent to the
'listserv' user will end up in the unix mailbox, and never get to
LISTSERV's command processor.

If you prefer to create a Postfix virtual host instead, add the
lsvamin service to master.cf as outlined above, and then add the
following in main.cf:

virtual_mailbox_domains = your.virtual.domain.com
virtual_transport = lsvamin

(Replace your.virtual.domain.com with the actual name of the virtual
domain you will be creating.)

In either case, it should be noted that all mail addressed to unknown
recipients will be shunted to LISTSERV, which can cause LISTSERV
postmasters to see significantly more bounce mail than they would otherwise.