Bill Earle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:53:44 -0400
We would be interested in what other have experienced.
We simply stop virus infected messages before they get to
our Listserv server or anywhere else.

We are also debating the idea of stopping SPAM from entering
into our Listserv server. We are looking at the approach
of stopping messages with a high probabilty of SPAM and that
originate from some location other than our networks or our
affiliated orginizations networks.

We use Sophos's PureMessage product to determine the probability
of SPAM of each message, and scan for viruses, and these have
results have proven quite reliable. The determination of the origin
of the message is much more difficult. We can only rely on the IP
address of the server that relays the message to our central e-mail
servers.

We are in the process of implementing this method to help limit
the amount of outgoing SPAM. Many of our users forward to large
service providers that periodically block our outbound mail flow
to them, AOL, United Online (Juno, NetZero and BlueLight), etc.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Anne Toal wrote:

> We've recently put a graylisting spam filter at the edge of our campus network, but at my request the Listserv was left outside the filter because I was concerned that graylist processing of all the traffic coming in to the server would introduce delays that would somehow harm Listserv.
>
> Has anyone out there put their Listserv behind a graylisting spam filter? The Listserv server has been getting hit pretty hard by phishing scams lately, which seem to be coming in under Listserv's net-wide spam radar. Currently our graylist is catching these spams but a few of them always seem to leak in through Listserv. I'd like to have Listserv moved behind the graylist filter if it won't harm the operations of the server. We are a backbone server running in networked mode.
>
> -aht

- Bill

   William B. Earle	Computing & Information Technology
			University at Buffalo
Voice: 716.645.6580	301 Computing Center
Fax:   716.645.5972	Buffalo, NY 14260