Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:02:10 -0600
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:14:21 -0400, "Wideman, Robert - Ellucian
<[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My Listserv responds to HELO with 250, but indicates 500 unknown command when I try to use EHLO.

This is the correct response.  At this point, the sending mail server is
supposed to 'back off' to use basic or original SMTP command set without any
SMTP extensions.  Any mailer (including Barracuda or similar mailer appliance)
that complies with RFC 821, 2821 and/or 5321 will do this.  Any mailer (or
appliance) not complying with applicable standards should be junked.

>Without EHLO support, I cannot put the list behind my Barracuda Spam filter.

I'm pretty sure the Barracuda appliance complies with the standards.  I'm also
sure that a number of LISTSERV sites have no problem using that or similar
mail filtering appliance/application in front of their LISTSERV server.