Douglas Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 May 2002 16:19:04 -0400
At 01:56 PM 5/9/2002 -0400, Dennis De Marco wrote:
>I'm looking for some advice on tunning up sendmail for delivery of
>Listserv HPO version. I have the following lists, and the time for each
>mailing:

Use multiple queues, optimize queue entry counts (max SMTP recipients)
depending on how many recipients share MX receivers (MAXBSMTP -- a smaller
number of max recipients with a larger number of "worker" processes, if you
have a beefier machine, will really help -- otherwise, increase MAXBSMTP
until you see performance stop gaining), increase the number of SMTP
forwarders to what you can handle (make sure you sort recipients
SMTP_FORWARD_1="n*SMTP.FORWARDER.XXX.") If you have multiple systems
running Sendmail, add multiple SMTP_FORWARD_X lines with as high an "n"
value as you can afford for each. Also, always sort recipients
(SORT_RECIPIENTS=1; export SORT_RECIPIENTS).

Last -- upgrade to Sendmail 8.12.3 if you have not already. It's quite a
bit faster than the older 8.11.x versions.

All that said -- nothing will speed up the recipient' systems. If you have
a lot of slow responders, either dump them off upstream or put them into a
slower queue after they timeout. Use the included movemail.pl and
re-mqueue.pl scripts to go through and move mail that gets to a certain age
to another queue so it does not slow down the fast movers. Adjust your
timeouts so that Sendmail does not patiently sit around for hours waiting
on half-dead MX receivers.

Something like creating queues A B C D E F, then

Queue A gets all new mail
Queue B gets any mail in queue A that's more than 20 minutes old
Queue C gets any mail in queue B that's more than 60 minutes old
Queue D gets any mail in queue C that's more than 120 minutes old
Queue E gets any mail in queue D that's more than 240 minutes old
Queue F gets any mail in queue E that's more than 1 day old

-- DCP

--
Douglas Palmer                          | Voice: 718-260-2291 Fax: 718-260-2338
SystemsManager, USDC-EDNY       | Notes: /NYED/02/USCOURTS