"Herbert A. Huston" <XRHAH@SCFVM>
Fri, 30 Mar 90 08:39:53 EST
>Is there some hardcoded filter that discards messages from OPERATOR in
>the LISTSERV code?  We are finally trying to automate our shutdown routines
>to cleanly close out all our service machines and I can't get LISTSERV to
>accept any commands from OPERATOR.  The userid is in the 'postmast' string
>in LOCAL SYSVARS, and is not in the 'ignore' list either.  Messages via
>tell, MSG, or SMSG don't even get logged on the LISTSERV console.
>
>I know 'enabling' operator will confuse it on global messages/warnings but
>that's the way they would prefer it.

Could OPERATOR have been served out sometime in the past after issuing too
many invalid LISTSERV commands, e.g. MSG ALL SHUTTING DOWN IN 10 SECONDS,
instead of MSG ALL * SHUTTING DOWN IN 10 SECONDS?  It happens here every
so often, and I just restore service and send out another request to precede
messages by an asterisk, which is later forgotten, resulting in ...

-- Herb