Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 May 1997 09:19:40 EDT
Hello Sage Listserv Wizzards:

A faculty member here who maintains several mailing lists from outside of the
temple.edu domain where the list's are  hosted on vm.temple.edu informed me a
that she  recently stopped receiving  error messages  from all of  her lists.
This is  despite the fact  that some of  the lists contain  subscriptions for
addresses  that don't  exist  (because of  incorrectly added  subscriptions).
This lack of errors  problem has been occurring (or not)  for about one week,
just before we upgraded from Listserv 1.8b to 1.8c.

To investigate this  problem, I took a list called  Vatican2 which this woman
maintains  and  I  added  myself  as  a  non-quiet  owner.  I  also  added  a
subscription  to  the  list  with  a bogus  e-mail  address.  This  was  done
yesterday  afternoon. After  a few  postings to  the list  since I  added the
bogus  subscription,  I  have  not  received any  error  messages.  Even  the
notification message that was  sent to this bogus address when  I added it to
the list was not returned to me  because it was undeliverable. I also sent an
e-mail message directly to this same  bogus address. That message was prompty
returned to me and marked as undeliverable  mail so I am pretty sure that the
mailer on vm.temple.edu,  which is the L-soft product, is  working just fine.
I am also getting  some error messages for other lists  that are hosted here.

I am mystified as  to why these few lists, all owned by  the same two people,
have  stopped delivering  error messages  to the  owners. The  error messages
appear to go into  the ether. They are not on my  postmaster account nor have
any of  error messages been  mistakenly delivered to the  lists' subscribers.

The Vatican2 list also does not have the "Auto-Delete" keyword included in it
at  all. The  "Errors-To" header  and the  owner's e-mail  addresses are  all
correct, including  mine, yet  no errors are  appearing anywhere  even though
they certainly should be. Does anyone  have any ideas about where those error
messages  are going  and  they're not  being delivered  to  th list's  owner?

A  copy of  the  header of  the  Vatican2  list is  included  below for  your
inspection:

*
* ARCC (Assn Rights Catholics Church)
*
* Review= Owner  Subscription= Open,Confirm Send= Private
* Notify= Yes       Reply-To= List,Respect     Files= No
* Confidential= No  Ack= Yes  X-Tags= Comment  Validate= Yes
* Errors-To= Owner  Renewal= Yearly,Delay(7)
* Notebook= Yes,A,Weekly,Private  Daily-Threshold= 200
* filter= also,[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask],
*              [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
* Owner= [log in to unmask] (Dr. Ingrid Shafer)
* Owner= [log in to unmask] (Stan Horwitz -- test owner)
* Owner= Quiet:,[log in to unmask] (Dr. Len Swidler)
* Owner= [log in to unmask] (Dr. Ingrid Shafer)

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University
Acknowledge to: OASIS@TEMPLEVM (or VM.TEMPLE.EDU)