Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 12:09:01 -0500
On 7 Mar 2006 at 9:45, Michael Loftis wrote:

> Well not in Linux there isn't.  It's all completely un-documented.  Near as
> I can tell it only supports ODBC and then in windows.  Still, no
> documentation anywhere that's usable as far as I've ever found.  Not to
> mention how the heck does it manage a list in the database, etc.  Since we
> strictly enforce double-opt-in, etc.

I really recommend you look at Maestro. It has all the database
management built-in, i.e. maintaining opt-in lists with more data
fields than just email and name. And then mail-merge messages are
very easy to do, and targeting emails is also much easier (the
"target group" wizard builds the necessary SQL query for you through
a series of menus -- no SQL to learn).

But BTW, LISTSERV 14.5 on Linux DOES support unixODBC, as well as
Oracle and DB2.

But still, why go to all the trouble of writing DISTRIBUTE jobs
(which as we've seen in the "Mail-merge Format" thread is a
challenge), when L-Soft has already gone to the trouble of writing a
very easy to use and very powerful interface for it?

Frankly, I don't know why anyone except the L-Soft programmers
working on Maestro would still be messing with DISTRIBUTE jobs.
That's what Maestro is for.

--
Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Knowledge is just a click away: http://www.lsoft.com/optin.html