Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 19:13:01 +0200
As you may  know, I have been  working with AOL on the  issues of blocked
LISTSERV mail  and so forth. The  outcome of this  work is that I  have a
better understanding of the problem from AOL's side, and AOL has a better
understanding  of how  seriously  these blocks  can  impact list  owners,
especially in the  case where lists are used for  business and the blocks
may lead to loss of time, income or reputation.

If you suspect that  your list is being blocked by  AOL, you should write
to [log in to unmask] with  the name of your list (including  hostname), and Jay
will  promptly lift  the  block.  Please note  that  AOL's 800  technical
support is not aware of the blocking  and that they are unable to confirm
or deny that your  list is being blocked. Rest assured  that if they have
wrongly claimed in the past that your  list was not being blocked, it was
out of ignorance rather than malice or incompetence.

If your list is vital to your  operation or business, you may want to get
an AOL  account and  subscribe it  to the  list. This  way you  can check
whether or not the list is being blocked. This is particularly useful for
newsletter  lists  where  traffic  is   too  low  for  people  to  report
spontaneously that  they have not been  receiving any mail from  the list
lately.

Please understand that I am just  reporting information that I think many
will find helpful and that I do not make AOL policy, nor do I necessarily
agree with AOL policy or support AOL's actions.

  Eric