Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:29:22 -0500
>Hi,
>
>My company has been using listserv classic for the past several months with
>pretty good results. We send out a bi-monthly newsletter to over 50,000
>subscribers.
>
>One major problem we're still having is that invalid e-mail addresses,
>addresses with permanent delivery failures are not beling deleted.
>
>I believe this problem has been fixed. The Auto-Delete setting:
>Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto, Delay(9)), Max(2), Probe(30)

This is probably a typo, but I see that there's an extra parenthesis
in Delay(9)).

>Does this setting work? Should I change this setting?

With Delay(9),Max(2) addresses will be removed if they bounce more
than twice in nine days.  Since you're only sending mailings out
twice a month this is unlikely to result in very many addresses being
removed.

I would use Delay(35),Max(1) if you want addresses to be removed
after two consecutive newsletters bounce (two bounces in a bit more
than thirty days).

If you want addresses to be removed immediately after bouncing, use
Delay(0),Max(0) (but note that in this case no daily monitoring
report will be generated).

(I'm oversimplifying how Auto-Delete works a bit, but these are
basically the rules of thumb I use when determining an appropriate
setting for a mailing list.)

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support, L-Soft international, Inc
   LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.

All of our manuals are available for download at
   <http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp>