Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:11:57 -0600
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:02:02 -0700, Randy Klumph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We are considering migrating LISTSERV from Windows to Solaris (SPARC).

If you have a stable LISTSERV installation running on Windows, why even
consider this?

>Does anyone have any experience with this and/or advice they can offer?

Cross-platform migration is a bit tricky, but is discussed in the Site
Manager Manual Sect 7.15

>What are the pitfalls? I am Solaris illiterate, so I will be relying
>heavily on the IT staff. I don't even know what questions to ask

The hardest part probably will be getting LISTSERV installed correctly on
Solaris, if you have nobody who knows anything about LISTSERV.  The other
thing that is harder (unix vs. Windows) is creating new lists since creating
the necessary email aliases generally requires 'root' privs on unix, wheras
on Windows it is automatic.