Brian Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 14:34:07 -0600
At 12:40 PM 11/8/96 -600, Mark R. Williamson wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Brian Crawford wrote:
>> I am puzzled by a recent problem one of my subscribers has encountered. He
>> is set to digest mode and receives an incomplete digest every day. The table
>> of contents comes through fine, as do all message "headers" for each
>> individual posting. But only a few of the actual posts are included in the
>> digest. The problem only started about three weeks ago and he is apparently
>> the only subscriber to have this problem, out of about 100 who are on digest.
>
>Have you eliminated the usual suspects?
>* Size limit on incoming mail on his server or reader
>* Misinterpretation of leading period on a line (maybe in the signature
>of a participant who recently became active)
>* Odd control characters (same possible location)

All but the size limit. A quick review of the archives from that time period
reveals no odd control characters or leading periods. If it were a size
limit issue, would that not just truncate the digest at the bottom? These
digests are coming through with a few complete posts, not in any date or
time sequence, but scattered throughout the digest. Messages from some
subscribers never seem to make it (completely) to the digest. Here's a
snippet of what it looks like:

snip!

>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:23:07 -0600
>From:    Steve Donofrio -- TPA Staff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tewksbury is available
>
>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:50:29 -0500
>From:    Edward P Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Lankford on Trading Block
>
>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:52:40 -0500
>From:    Edward P Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Boniaa????
>
>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:53:57 -0500
>From:    Edward P Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: eRIC yOUNG
>
>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:54:29 -0500
>From:    Edward P Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Benes as ROY?
>
>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:56:44 -0500
>From:    Edward P Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Benes as ROY?
>
>Date:    Wed, 6 Nov 1996 13:35:13 -0600
>From:    Bob Schaper <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Re[2]: [CARDINALS] high-profile (no Cardinal content) -Reply
>
>Jim, you wrote:
>
>"It is a fair topic of discussion whether recovering alcoholics are to
>considered the same, or worse, than Belle and Alomar."
>
>As a matter of fact, Albert Belle is an admitted alcoholic (in recovery).
>This was the basis for his name change, i.e., Joey to Albert.  It was
>suggested to him in a treatment center, to help him find a new identity.

snip! Many more "headers" and a few posts in the rest of the digest.

Hmmmmmmm
Brian Crawford
[log in to unmask]                                         Chicago

Baby Pix! -> http://www.mcs.net/~crawford/sheridan/sheridan.html