Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:46:30 -0600
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:44:05 -0700, Randy Klumph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>They do not want any part of administrating LSV, only housing it.

Once you are over the (one-time) migration hurdle, and as long as all is
running smoothly, there is little for SysAdmins to be involved with
LISTSERV.  The crunch comes when things don't go right.  Then it becomes
necessary to look at logfiles, maybe issue some commands to find out what is
happening on the system, stop and restart LISTSERV, etc.  These operations
generally require some level of system privileges, as well as knowledge of
where to find things like the LISTSERV logs which are usually written to
/var/log/listserv dir (because on unix, most programs logs are written to
/var/log/program-name dir) instead of to the /home/listserv/log/ dir you
might expect coming for administering LSV on Windows.

A proper LISTSERV Site Administrator needs to have both knowledge of
LISTSERV (how it works, how to read find and read logfiles, how to give
commands, etc) and basic operating system knowledge (how to find your way
around on the disk, how to use various command line programs and commands.)
The Admin also needs the proper level of access privileges to do any/all of
the above things.  I have administered LISTSERV on Windows for most of my
time at L-Soft.  Over a long time I have acquired the additional
novice-level navigation and working skills to make my way around on a unix
machine with some proficiency but I would not consider myself really good at
it.  I have built a 'cheat sheet' of how to do various things on both kinds
of systems.

Based on your description, you would need to be granted the privs and you
would need to learn the hands-on OS knowledge to continue to administer
LISTSERV if running on Solaris.  It seems unlikely that the Computer Center
folks want to learn LISTSERV.