Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:37:01 -0600
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:27:54 -0400, Dave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>23 Jul 2003 00:00:01 *** LSMTP extensions activated ***
>
>23 Jul 2003 00:00:01 -> XDFN="John Smith"
>
>23 Jul 2003 00:00:01 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized
>
>This has apparently been going on for months.
>
>It seems that someone might have sent a DISTRIBUTE job with a syntax
>error. Still, I don't see why it should lead to this behavior.

You have an old outgoing *.MAIL file in x:\LISTSERV\SPOOL that is malformed in
some way that is causing this.  Stop LISTSERV and delete that file (or move it
out of the ~\SPOOL dir to somewhere else, then restart.

>I've searched the spool directories and took a look at LSMTP

It's not in LSMTP anywhere.  It's in LISTSERV's ~\SPOOL trying
(unsuccessfully) to get out.  Due  to the malformation, it will never be
successful.

>but can't
>find any trace of this problem, nor can I figure out how to stop it. I
>don't know if it's related to the lost mail, but it's definitely a
>problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it could be responsible for the missing mail, but you would need to
examine the file (after you move it elsewhere)  to see what recipients are
listed who did not get the mail.