"Margaret_A.King" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 May 1997 18:18:00 EDT
> A message recently went through on one of my lists that I couldn't
> decipher (meaning, I couldn't figure out who sent it).  I fancy myself
> as pretty fair a deciphering headers, but this one has me baffled.

We've had some of these Undetermined origin things here too, on a
list gated to a newsgroup.

My guess is that this came over from the Usenet side of your gated
list/newsgroup.  It looks pretty similar to one of today's cancels
listed in the news.admin.net-abuse.bulletins newsgroup.

> Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 00:14:19 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV administrator
> Subject: GIFT FROM JERUSALEM
> Sender: Gun Dog discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
> Comments: RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
>  ignored.
> Comments: RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
>  ignored.
> Comments: RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
>  ignored.
> Comments: RFC822 error: <E> Mail origin cannot be determined.
> Comments: RFC822 error: <E> Original tag data was -> <>
>
> (in the body was a reference to:   http://www.landofjesus.com)
>

> I particularlly has me bugged that it looks (to the causual observer)
> like it came from the owner of the list (me).

Actually owner-listserv is the postmaster (which may also be you, of
course...).  I remember thinking that was an interesting choice for a
default when it happened here.  But on the other hand, presumably a
posting that was actually from the postmaster would use his/her
regular email address, so perhaps the "owner-listserv" address could
be put in a filter.  Does anybody know if this works and is safe?
Would it ever stop anything besides the "Undetermined origin" stuff?

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University