Greg Dietrich <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:48:52 -0500
For each post to a regular list, we have designed a custom mail template that inserts a bottom banner containing a clickable mail link to facilitate unsubscribing.

This works well but it's also important that we provide a method of unsubscribing to recipients of posts to Super lists.  When the same link is used in an attempt to Unsubscribe to a post from a Super-list, the recipient is told (correctly) that they are not a member of the list.

I've thought of two potential solutions:

- Identify the sub-list name associated with the subscriber, passing it as a variable in the banner to facilitate unsubscribing using the "mail to:"   Is this possible?

- Code a query in the banner that can be used in conjunction with "mailto:" to return the name(s) of the lists to which the recipient is subscribed. Once obtained, the recipient can specify the name of the list using "UNSUBSCRIBE listname".  This would require two emails by the recipient but is better than nothing.  We want to make Unsubscribing as seamless as possible for the end-user.

All of our lists are designated confidential, one-way announce-only. We do not use Mail-merge nor wish to direct recipients to a web page for the purpose of managing their subscriptions.  Subscribers typically do not know the name of the list to which they are subscribed.  Lists Owner is an important stakeholder in our organization and does not want to e-mail the same material separately to multiple lists.

Are there other solutions to the problem?

Thank you,

Greg Dietrich
SCO ListServ Administrator
California State Controller's Office