Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:08:04 -0500
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:01:03 EST, Melody Fleishauer said:
> It seems that every time I restart the service or reboot the listserv server or
> the SMTP server, some lists will send additional newsletters form some of the
> hosted lists but not to everyone on all the lists.  This happens most often to
> hotmail and EarthLink accounts.
>   From all I have read, it seems to be something on the receiving servers end
> but is there anyway to prevent this from happening?

Make sure you get a *clean* shutdown of your SMTP service before rebooting.
What you're being bit by is almost certainly the effect described in RFC1047
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1047.txt) - basically, your service shuts down
after it's sent the text to the Hotmail or earthlink servers, but before
they've sent back a '250 OK' saying they've accepted it.  So when you come back
up, it has to re-send it because the other end never gave a definite "I have
recieved it" reply.