Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:13:20 -0500
On 11/30/2011 13:40, Eckstine, Nate wrote:
> In our exchange email system we can’t send to two lists in one email.  The
> mailing software flags it as a duplicate email.  I believe your email system is
> deleting the second list address.  I think it can be configured around.

We use Exchange for our faculty and staff mailboxes, and we have not seen this behavior.
It is not uncommon for the campus police department to send a single message to both a
faculty/staff list and a student list.

> We also can’t CC to a person who is in the list being mailed to. The CC address
> will be deleted by Exchange as a duplicate.

This specific description leads me to believe that you are referring to an Exchange
distribution list, not a LISTSERV list, and that the sender is a true Exchange user, i.e.,
someone using Outlook or OWA to send email via the Exchange service, rather than sending
email via an SMTP-based message submission service.

> And the other day we found out gmail users sometimes can’t get a copy of their
> own post to a list.  Gmail cancels it out if they send to themselves.

The inbound message has the same message-id as the outbound message, so Gmail discards it
as a duplicate.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team