Louise Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:46:47 -0800
I agree that technical solutions are likely to backfire.  The more you try
to manipulate people, the more manipulative (or apathetic, or defiant etc.
etc.) they become ;-)

Nonetheless if such policing is for some reason important (and I am no
judge of that!), then you might consider Majordomo (or maybe a Listserv mod
could do this?) which can do this via the Taboo_headers or taboo_body"
portion of the M'domo list config:

A sample regex

taboo_body          <<  END
/\naughty word one\b/i
/\naughty word two\b/i

"The Major" bounces the "taboo" messages to the listowner, who can either
edit the message or over-ride the bounce and release it to the
list.  Majordomo is not anything like so powerful as Listserv, but if you
don't need the many features of Listserv and this is your biggest concern,
it is an option at least --but one to consider carefully since you might be
just trading one set of problems for another larger set.

I hope that it isn't ~heresy to present this option on a Listserv
discussion list. Listserv is ~always my first choice and very favorite
service. --but there are times when we don't get to choose.

Cheers,  Louise
Listowner, Penstemon-L (Listserv)
and listowner of various small Majordomo and Listproc lists.

Seaplane pilots do it with a splash

         /!\
         @   @