"John S. Fisher" <FISHER@RPIECS>
Wed, 13 Sep 89 00:25:52 EST
The concerns expressed in the following may be of general interest to
many list maintainers....

/JSFisher

  - - The original note follows - -

As LISTSERV maintainers you may wish to consider blocking requests
from CompuServe.COM users who try to add themselves to LISTSERV
high-volume mailing lists and perhaps to requests for large files.
I leave it up to you to discuss this with the Postmaster at CIS.

In the case below a user has subscribed to Info-Hams which he could
have received directly from us, thus reducing the load on CUNYVM.
This is a high-volume list which will place a great load on
CompuServe's mail system.  The typical digest is 18-20K in size and
there are sometimes 2-3 digests per day.

I believe that CompuServe intends this link to the Internet to be for
exchanging email messages with other users.  I doubt if they have the
disk space to handle large digests and file requests.

John, please do whatever is required to remove this address from the
LISTSERV database.  If the user and CompuServe agree that 40-60K per
day is acceptable I will be happy to add him to my list at SIMTEL20.

I realize that Mr. Loftesness is the SysOp of the Hams Forum.  Perhaps
a special address could be created at CIS which would write directly
to his workspace instead of the mail system directory.

--Keith
Info-Hams mailing list maintainer