Gary Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Apr 1992 14:23:41 EST
I have a list owner who has been telling me that she receives tons of mail
notifying her that so-and-so's mail was "unable to connect for 3 days", etc.
She asked for a larger minidisk to hold all that bouncing mail a few months
back (right after becoming the primary, non-quiet owner)...  I did this
especially since I wouldn't even consider becoming a non-quiet owner. ;-)

After leaving for a one week vacation, she had nearly 1000 pieces of mail
in her reader.  The vast majority of this mess was rejection mail.

I'd like to toss all of this junk using Errors-To= XYZ  where XYZ is a
userid that has it's reader purged every night.  This is a silly thing
to do, but I can't imagine getting this much rejection mail every day --
90% of it is truly useless.  10% may be of some value... userid no longer
exists, so delete them.  If something really happens that is serious and
gets purged, we won't know about it.  Perhaps, I should also require
subscription renewals on a 6-months basis.  (There are no renewals now.)

I guess I should mention the list is BANYAN-L and it seems that lots of
addresses are subscribed via gateways that burp often.

It appears that the owner can continue as now or I can try the aforementioned
purge method (I'm really hesitant to do this)...  What are others doing?
Have you seen or experienced problems like this?  If so what solution
have you found?

Gary