Emily Peckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 May 1998 11:26:14 -0400
It has been decided as a matter of policy that all the lists at my site
(current and new) have a Renewal= keyword (without Probe).  For new lists,
that's not a problem.  To modify all our currents lists (nearly 600) will
be quite an undertaking. (None of the current lists have a Renewal=
keyword).

I would greatly appreciate advice from LISTSERV veterans who have gone
through this procedure.  I realize that this will mean that most
subscribers will be sent renewal notices within a day of the headers being
modified so I plan to do this on a weekend.  I also plan to send an
explanation to all the list owners letting them know what to expect and
telling them how (and why) to set certain subscriptions to Norenew.

I should say that my site is at a University (we just finished final exams
last week) where the Spring semester is just coming to an end.  I am
tempted to do this soon because I'm afraid that this change will have a
more negative impact if I do it during the Summer when students and
faculty may not be checking e-mail often (or at all).

My idea is to set Renewal= 6-monthly,Delay(10).  This seems to be what
will work best for a semester cycle (some of our lists are for classes).
If any of you have better options, please let me know.  We are using 1.8c
for Unix.

Thanks for your input,

Emily Peckman