Lee Silverman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:09:27 -0400
At 9:43 PM 9/20/95, george mansoor wrote:
>I'm trying to install majordomo on a linux box but I'm having severe
>performance problems.  When majordomo starts to process a message it takes up
>all the available memory and system performance goes down the drain.  In
>addition, each message takes about 3 minutes of CPU time to process.  Is
>anyone running MajorDomo on a linux box?  Are you seeing this type of results?
>Is there a fix for this?  Are there alternatives I should be looking at?

I would change your statement slightly, to: "I'm trying to install
MajorDomo and I'm having major performance issues".

The "fix" is to run a mail program that isn't written in Perl and has been
designed over the course of 10 years to efficiently handle extremely large
amounts of email in a flexible, highly configurable fashion.  I can only
think of one program that does that, and considering that this is the
LISTSERV give-and-take forum, you can probably guess what that program is
:-)

I run a Linux system that runs Listserv, and have had absolutely no
perfomance issues whatsoever with it.  (Sendmail is a whole other barrel of
wax.)  Currently it's running 50 lists, some with over 4000 subscribers,
delivering to a total of about 40,000 recipients a day.  Listserv can
handle it no problem.

Lee Silverman     [log in to unmask]      http://www.netspace.org/users/lee/
    Someday we're going to look back on all this and tape over it.