Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:18:37 -0400
On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:57 PM, John Traweek wrote:

> Hi all,
>         My company runs a LISTSERV/LSMTP combination to send out
> personalized DISTRIBUTE JOBs to certain lists.  About a month ago
> we started
> receiving complaints from a few random recipients that they were
> receiving
> multiple copies of the same message.  In fact, they received a copy
> of the
> message 100 + times, until the four day max delivery try was
> reached by
> LSMTP.  This is very random, it probably only occurs once for every
> 100,000
> recipients.  I have verified that the receiving servers do not
> appear to be
> running the infamous PIX SMTP Fix Up protocol, which is notorious
> for this.
> It appears that the receiving server simply does not reply with a 250
> Success after LSMTP issues the "." end of message command.  Here is
> a sample
> from the log -

This topic is probably more appropriate for the LSMTP list. I suspect
your LSMTP installation is configured to be too agressive in its
attempts to deliver emails to heavily loaded servers. I don't know
the  parameter to change, but  I am sure if you review  the
documentation for LSMTP, you'lll find the information. The idea is to
tell LSMTP to allow more time for a destination server to respond
before your LSMTP attempts to resend a message.